Welcome

I am attempting to be the first independent Member of Parliament for East Worthing and Shoreham. I am a husband, father and teacher who lives in the constituency and am passionate about championing public services, infrastructure and the needs of the people of East Worthing and Shoreham.
Vote Lutwyche on June 8th
#VoteLutters

Link To My Manifesto:

My Manifesto

FROM East Worthing & Shoreham, FOR East Worthing & Shoreham -          A FAIR DEAL FOR OUR CHILDREN’S EDUCATION -        ...

Sunday 7 May 2017

The Election Process - Part 1



I had been contemplating standing at a general election prior to 2015 as I have never felt represented in Westminster by East Worthing and Shoreham’s current incumbent, who has been in place since the birth of the constituency in 1997. So as soon as the slightly surprising news surfaced regarding this election I was searching online to get the information and forms required to stand as an independent candidate as I have never had any affiliation to one party. This proved to be quite difficult as clearly the electoral commission weren’t expecting an election either, so all the information and forms were from 2015.

You’ll (hopefully) be relieved to hear that I did eventually get the forms and guidance literature from the electoral commission and have filled in my personal details; I am now heading around the constituency taking people up on their offers to nominate me. I require ten nominees, including a proposer and seconder (plus their individual electoral number, as a nominee has to be eligible to vote), and was fortunate enough to have plenty of people offering to sign for me.

There are officially no candidates at the time of writing as the window to hand in the forms is the 9th May to 11th May between 10am and 4pm at Worthing Town Hall; this must be done personally by each candidate. Political parties have selected and announced their candidates but these candidates need to get their forms in by the deadline. As I have full time job I have had to ask very nicely to be able to attend one of these time windows and my appointment is on Tuesday afternoon.

There is the option for candidates to nominate agents and sub-agents who can perform various tasks on behalf of that candidate, mainly financial tasks, currently a hot topic of debate in other constituencies; the agent and sub-agents must have a business address within the constituency as far as I can make out. I have chosen to do the bulk of the work required myself with advice and help from friends who have experience in specific, related areas.

Once the forms are accepted then the campaign trail gets underway; we’ll see how successful that campaign has been on June 8th, or more likely, June 9th when the votes have been counted. I shall post more about the process as it unfolds as I want to encourage and inform anyone who wants to engage in the political process; once a teacher, always a teacher I suppose.

This has been described as a “snap election”, called with little or no warning for the electorate, and if news reports are to be believed, to Theresa May’s own cabinet and party. One could argue that May is being opportunist, playing on the perceived weakness of the opposition, particularly in England. East Worthing and Shoreham sees Tim Loughton with a large majority from 2015, and add that to the supposed weakness of any opposition, does he really need to make much effort in order to be re-elected? He will claim that he’s taking nothing for granted, but in reality Mr Loughton must be feeling very confident, confident enough to campaign in Hove rather than his own constituency last week. This is not healthy for democracy, but more importantly nor is it healthy for the residents of this constituency who require representation in parliament, and not at the expense of party-political interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment